Skip to main content
   
HomeDSA In the News ListDetails

DSA In the News

Authorities ID man struck and killed by Caltrain in Burlingame

 | Published on 1/17/2011


A 39-year-old San Francisco man was struck and killed Monday morning by a Caltrain near a pedestrian crossing in what officials described as an "intentional act."

The man, identified as Rafael Lorovico by the San Mateo County Coroner's Office, was hit near downtown Burlingame at 6:20 a.m., 30 feet north of the Oak Avenue crossing by northbound train No. 305, said Caltrain spokeswoman Tasha Bartholomew.

Preliminary investigation indicates the man got in the train's path intentionally, officials say.

The tracks were closed for two hours. ?Morning Caltrain commuters experienced delays of up to one hour. The Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Train, however, left San Jose on schedule.?

This is the second Caltrain fatality since the start of 2011. There were 11 deaths last year, and 19 in 2009.

"No matter what the circumstances, it is always regrettable when a life is lost," said Bartholomew.

"Caltrain reminds everyone to be safe around train tracks."